We’re Hiring! Student Podcasts Coordinator
April 6, 2020
BC Studies: The British Columbian Quarterly invites applications from UBC History majors, honours, and graduate students for the temporary, part-time position of Student Podcasts Coordinator.
This is a 12-month position, five to ten hours a week, for a total of 200 hours at $20/hr.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to info[at]bcstudies.com.
Deadline for applications: April 23, 2020
Desired start date: May 4, 2020
About the position:
BC Studies is creating an innovative opportunity for scholars to submit scholarly work in the form of a single podcast episode. These episodes would be subject to peer review along similar lines to the other audio pieces we currently peer review under our “Soundworks” series.
The position involves a range of complex tasks including developing peer-review guidelines for podcasts, production and post-production of podcasts, social media outreach and distribution of calls for submissions, author support during the submission process, and development of a podcast archive within the existing BC Studies online bibliography.
As the primary person responsible for developing and maintaining BC Studies podcasts, this is a great learning opportunity that will instill a strong sense of independence and project management skills in the student. While working within a collaborative, team-based environment, the student will be responsible for the following duties:
Peer-review guidelines for podcasts
- researching other precedents for peer-reviewed audioworks
- assisting with the drafting of peer-review guidelines
- assisting with the work on the BC Studies website necessary for publishing these podcasts
- assisting with issuing a a call for podcast submissions
Post production of podcasts
- learn to use Hindenburg and do post production editing on podcasts prior to publication by BC Studies
- assisting authors with preparing their podcast for submission
- using speech to text transcription software such as Temi, the student will correct audio transcripts through editing and proofreading for publication on the BC Studies website
- explore possibility of using software that embeds the transcript with the audio so that users/readers can listen /read simultaneously
Bibliography of Podcasts
- create curated list of podcasts to feature on bibliography website https://bcstudies.com/bibliography/
- enter and maintain podcast data into the online bibliography
- assist with the promotion and marketing of featured podcasts
- UBC student in the department of History
- Independent, self-motivated worker and team oriented
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, attentive to details
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Able to curate a podcast section on the BC Studies website
- Background or interest in sound engineering or radio
- Interest in publishing
- Knowledge of WordPress; audio production software such as Temi and/ or Hindeburg