Emily Carr painting offers rare view of the old Kitsilano Indian Reserve
October 24, 2017
The Kitsilano Indian Reserve was more or less on the site of today’s Vanier Park, although it stretched as far south as First Avenue, which means it included the approaches to the Burrard Bridge, Molson’s plant and Seaforth Armoury. It was on the site of a long-standing native village called Snauq.
“Snauq was the basis for a thirty-seven-acre reserve requested in February 1868 by the forty-two persons living there under the leadership of Chief Chip-kay-um and established the next year,” wrote historian Jean Barman in a paper called Erasing Indigenous Identity in Vancouver that was published in BC Studies in autumn, 2007.
Read the open access article here: http://ojs.library.ubc.ca/index.php/bcstudies/article/view/626/669